Tuesday, July 13, 2010

How About Some Chili? With Cheese and Crumbled Crackers?

I came home earlier than usual this evening (aka on time), and when I opened the front door, the comforting, homey smell of chili inspired me to say, "smells like home!" Now, mind you, I may be inspired to say something else entirely tomorrow as a result of our whole household having consumed such a lovely concoction so full of beans.

Today, though, it was a simple change, a simple smell, and a simple act of cooking that took exhausted, frazzled me to a place closer to normalcy. Home.

When's the last time you dug down and cooked some real comfort food? Macaroni and cheese baked in the oven. Bread pudding. Goulash.

If you want some inspiration, try www.allrecipes.com (although their popup is really getting on my nerves - and I'm a subscriber!), www. copykat.com to find recipes from your favorite restaurants (I recommend Applebee's Maple Butter Blondie recipe), and of course the old standby: the Better Homes & Gardens recipe book. They have the best carrot cake, banana bread, and for cookies, their chocolate chip cookies (add a pinch of extra soda and make sure you use medium eggs), molasses cookies (these are so melty good), and meatloaf recipes are just the best on earth. If you're an oatmeal cookie person, use the recipe on the Quaker Oats box: you can't beat it. And if you do bread pudding, try using prebuttered baguette slices (Gordon Ramsay has a great recipe for bread pudding).

I'm going to have another cup of chili. Household, beware!

Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts? Ideas? What makes you happy?